Take Action to End Homelessness
CONGRESS JUST GAVE US A BIG VICTORY
3. Discuss talking points with contact
- Point 1: Hi. My name is [NAME]. I live in [COMMUNITY] and work for [ORGANIZATION]. I am reaching out as a resident of [YOUR COMMUNITY] to ask for your support of ending homelessness and urge your office to support a $217 million increase to the $2.6 billion in FY2018 allocated to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants. With this increase, we could house approximately 40,000 more people nationally.
- Point 2: On any given night, more than half a million people experience homelessness in the United States, yet the US has continued to see homelessness decline nationwide over the last decade. [PROVIDE INFORMATION ON YOUR COMMUNITY’S EFFORT TO END HOMELESSNESS]
- Point 3: Progress has been made because of a shift toward evidence-based approaches that move people quickly into permanent housing. Central to the effort is the federal funding provided by HUD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants program and other targeted homeless assistance programs. Without these grants and the support of Congress to date, much of our progress would not have been possible.
- Point 4: Federal funding is critical to our community’s efforts to end homelessness. We need your help and support. I urge you to reject the President’s budget proposal that includes cuts to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants, as well as the sequestration-limited funding in the House and Senate appropriations bills. Instead, I urge you to work with your colleagues to raise the sequestration caps for non-defense discretionary spending, and support at least a $217 million increase to $2.6 billion in FY 2018. With this increase, we could house approximately 40,000 more people nationally. This will allow communities like ours to keep up with the rising number of people losing their housing due to increasing rents.
- Point 5: Thanks so much for speaking with me! I greatly appreciate your time and your office’s support for ending homelessness.
SEND AN EMAIL
Your voice, in this time of budget constraints and concerns, is needed more than ever. Help us get the money you need to end homelessness in your community by joining our Homelessness Funding Campaign.